Let’s be honest: this isn’t an actual recipe. I mean, it is…but not really.
If we’re being real here, I’d call it more of a suggestion. It’s a “dude, you should totally try waffling your hashbrowns and throw some breakfast stuff on top” sort of thing, or a “I think I saw this on Buzzfeed one time” kind of idea.
It’s probably the most unhealthy thing I’ve made all year, but everybody needs a cheat day once in a while, right?
The “recipe” makes one, which is more than any one person needs for breakfast. Obviously, if you can convince another individual to join you in this debauchery, simply double the recipe.
I’ve written more than I should already for what is really a gimmicky – yet delicious – breakfast idea, though, so let’s get right to it.
Waffled Hash Sausage Melt Brekkie
- 1 Italian sausage link
- 1 large slice Havarti
- 1 large egg
- cooking oil
- salt and pepper, if desired
- Remove your sausage link from its casings and reform into a thin oval 1/2 cm – 1 cm thick. Cook in a frying pan – with a little oil if necessary – over medium heat until no pink remains in the middle, flipping to cook evenly on both sides.
- While the sausage is cooking, preheat a waffle iron on its medium setting. Once warm, place the hashbrown patties on top of each other on the iron, then close completely. Allow to cook until brown and crispy on the outside (this should take around 3-5 minutes).
- While the sausage and hashbrowns are cooking, you’ll have time to prep the egg as well. Preheat a little oil in a small frying pan over medium heat, then crack the egg into the pan and allow the bottom of the yolk to set. Season with salt and pepper if desired, then add a small amount of water (less than a tbsp.) to the pan, and pop a lid on top. Cook just until the yolk on top has set completely.
- Once the hashbrowns, sausage and egg have all cooked, assemble your creation. Top the waffled hashbrowns with the sausage, then the Havarti, and finally, finish it off with the egg.